Trinity Church Day School, which celebrated its 50th birthday during the 2007-2008 school year, began as a small playgroup organized by Anne Crocker for a few local children. In 1958, to meet the growing needs of the community, Trinity Church Day School opened its doors. Over its fifty-plus years, many women have followed in Anne’s footsteps as directors: Martha Elder, Judy LaCalle, Audrey Merryman, Jamie Farinacci, Anne Scheck, Lynn Abplanalp, and beginning July 2012, Elizabeth Radebaught. Many of Trinity Church’s members have been part of the outstanding staff of the day school, and many children have been part of both church and day school. Numerous families have passed through the doors of the school since 1958, and many adults who were once students have returned as parents of the next generation at Trinity Church Day School.
Over its fifty year history, the Day School has adapted many times to meet changing needs and practices in early childhood education. With the addition of a Kindergarten, and growth in the student population, more space was needed. The parish house expansion of 1985 was designed to accommodate this need. Within the last fifteen years, two programs for two-year-olds have been added in response to requests by parents – “Mommy and Me” and “Explorers.”
Responding again to parental requests, afternoon enrichment programs have been added for Kindergarten and four-year-olds. Trinity offers before and after school care as well. A few years ago, Trinity Church Day School added a Summer Nature School which has been extremely well received.
As it approached its 50th birthday, Trinity Church Day School faced another challenge, and once more Church and Day School worked together to meet it. The Day School had outgrown its space on the lower level of the parish house, and expanded into the parish hall and front room of the upper level. In order to provide the necessary space for all the children now served, Trinity Church and Day School began the long process of designing and building another addition to the parish building. Marking the culmination of a lengthy process, the new addition was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Eugene Sutton, Bishop of Maryland, on November 15, 2009. The new addition includes four new classrooms as well as a large multi-purpose room.
Check out the Trinity Church Day School’s website for current information about classes and events.